When mentoring our pre-service and in-service teachers we need to describe and model both research-based and clinically tested best practices, and demonstrate how these best practices can be applied in the real (i.e. physical) and virtual (i.e. online) classroom for both teaching and teacher training. The combination of face to face instruction in a physical setting and online learning is called blended learning. In this section of the blog we will describe how the internet can serve as a supplemental resource for instruction and the mentoring of pre-service and in-service Jewish educators. In this post we will explain and give a demonstration of what is a web camera recording. Then we will share how YouTube can be used for web camera recording.
What is a web camera recording?
A web camera recording is a visual and auditory recording of oneself speaking to the camera on a computer or some other video recording device. Sometimes a picture or video conveys meaning better than words. Consequently, let me demonstrate what a web camera recording looks like. A web camera recording is different from a screen recording or screen cast because with the web cam recording I am recording myself speaking to the camera, and not showing that which is on my computer screen. With this background, click on this link to see a demonstration of a web recording:
For what educational purposes can a web camera recording serve?
- Provides a visual and auditory explanation of some content or concept
- Provides an introduction to a lesson or training event
- Serves as an anticipatory set for a lesson
- Serves as a prompt for an in class or online conversation
- Provides a review of a lesson or training event that a student or teacher had missed
- Provides a summary or closure for a lesson or training event
- Serves as a stimulus for reflection
- Empowers students and teachers to make their own web camera presentations
- Serves as a communication channel to answer student and collegial questions
- Can be used to flip the classroom
How YouTube can be used for web camera recording
In order to use YouTube as a web recording tool, you will need to obtain a YouTube account, an account with the Google suite of applications including Gmail, Google Drive, Google Images, etc. Accordingly, to obtain a YouTube or Google Account you will want to click on this link: https://accounts.google.com/SignUp
Here is a link to a YouTube video which explains how to sign up for a YouTube account: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_y7rrfftbk
Here is a link to a YouTube video I made on how to use YouTube for web camera recording: http://youtu.be/FRFOn8sli7Y
On the next post we explore how YouTube web camera recordings can be used to promote instruction in the blended learning classroom.