When mentoring our pre-service and in-service teachers we need to describe and model both research-based and clinically tested best practices. Accordingly, our mentees should know about the theory of multiple intelligences developed by Howard Gardner.
Dr. Gardner posited that a student’s intelligence should not simply be measured by his or her verbal and mathematical abilities. Intelligence should also include five other areas of giftedness including visual/spatial, body/kinesthetic, musical/rhythmic, interpersonal, and intrapersonal.
In the previous post we presented an activity, “Searching for Multiple Intelligences”, where we invited students to assess, record and discuss their preferred multiple intelligences profile. The key to this exercise is described below.
Searching for Multiple Intelligences- the KEY
1. Plays a musical instrument- MUSICAL/RHYTHMIC and BODY/KINESTHETIC
2. Likes to make/use charts- MATHEMATICAL/LOGICAL and VISUAL/SPATIAL
3. Likes to draw or photograph things in nature- VISUAL/SPATIAL
4. Keeps a diary or journal- INTRAPERSONAL
5. Loves to socialize- INTERPERSONAL
6. Has made a power point presentation, slide show, videotape, or photo album- VISUAL/SPATIAL
7. Is knowledgeable in a martial art- BODY-KINESTHETIC and INTRAPERSONAL
8. Has written a poem, short story, or play- VERBAL/LINGUISTIC
9. Can draw, paint, sketch, or sculpt- VISUAL/SPATIAL
10. Likes to set personal goals- INTRAPERSONAL
11. Sings or sang in the synagogue choir or on stage - MUSICAL/RHYTHMIC
12. Likes to tell stories or jokes- VERBAL/LINGUISTIC
13. Enjoys watching and identifying birds- VISUAL/SPATIAL
14. Likes to draw analogies or solve brain teasers- MATHEMATICAL/LOGICAL
15 Enjoys facilitating a group meeting- INTERPERSONAL
16. Likes to build things with his/her hands- BODY/KINESTHETIC
17. Meditates regularly- INTRAPERSONAL
18. Uses binoculars, a telescope, a microscope, or a magnifying glass outside of the classroom- VISUAL/SPATIAL
19. Can replicate rhythmical patterns- MUSICAL/RHYTHMIC
20. Does aerobics, or plays tennis, racquetball, basketball, or golf- BODY/KINESTHETIC and VISUAL/SPATIAL
21. Likes to write letters-VERBAL/LINGUISTIC
22. Designed and conducted an experiment- LOGICAL/MATHEMATICAL
23. Easily shares his/her thoughts and feelings with others- INTERPERSONAL
24. Can identify the different colors in a spectrum- VISUAL/SPATIAL
On the next post we will discuss differentiated instruction.