Send Richard a voice mail message

Friday, August 14, 2009

How Does a First Year Teacher’s Attitude Toward Teaching Change During the First Year in the Profession?


Whatever technical assistance you might share with your mentee, we believe it is important for the mentor to understand some of the underlying developmental and psychological issues that may not be voiced by the mentee. For example, E. Moir (1999) identified these six phases that a novice teacher passes through during the first year of teaching.

*Moir's (1999) Phases of a First Year Teacher’s Attitude Toward Teaching

Phase Name

Time Frame

Questions/ Thoughts/Actions

Anticipation

Prior to the beginning of school

Isn’t it great to be a teacher? I can’t wait for the school year to begin. I'm already buying school supplies.

Survival

The first month of school

How will I ever survive? There’s just too much to do. I only get five hours of sleep at night.

Disillusionment

After six or eight weeks of teaching

This is just too much for me. How will I be able to face the parents for Open School Night? What lesson will I do for the school director's observation? Is teaching really for me? I’m sick and exhausted.

Rejuvenation

Beginning in January or after the winter break

Things are getting better. Most of my students are listening to me. Maybe I am a teacher? My time is better organized.

Reflection

Last six weeks of school

This year I learned …

I’m never going to …

Next year I will definitely …

What fun things will I be doing this summer? What preparation will I need to do this summer? How can I celebrate the end of the school year?

Anticipation

Prior to the beginning of school

I’m excited about meeting my new class. What do I need to do now that will make this coming year the best ever? I'm spending a lot of time preparing for the new year.

We would suggest that these phases, questions, and actions do not only underlie the thoughts of novice teachers, but also are entertained by beginning teachers during the first five years of their career.

* Moir, E. (1999). The Stages of a Teacher’s First Year. In M. Scherer (Editor). A Better Beginning: Supporting and Mentoring New Teachers. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.

In a future post we will explore the three stages of concern of beginning teachers during the first five years of their career.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jewish Education News Blog

Richard D. Solomon's Blog on Mentoring Jewish Students and Teachers

http://nextleveljewisheducation.blogspot.com/